Beginning with the return from spring break on Monday, April 12, the Knox County Public Schools will be following the latest guidance from the Kentucky Department of Education and the Centers for Disease Control.
Impact on students
- All students will continue to be required to wear a mask except during breakfast, lunch, and mask breaks.
- Our bus drivers and school personnel will no longer screen students for temperatures before they ride the buses or enter school buildings. Temperature checks will continue to be offered on an as-needed or requested basis.
- Families should monitor their child(ren) for any signs of COVID-19. If the child has symptoms, they should stay home and see a healthcare professional as soon as possible. The family should notify the school of the student’s absence from in-person learning, and the student should continue Learning@Home by logging into Google Classroom and video lessons.
- Elementary classroom spacing will be reduced from 6 feet to 3 feet as needed to accommodate students, with the maximum distance possible being preferred.
Impact on visitors
- All visitors to any KCPS school, office, or building will continue to be required to wear a mask upon entry. Social distancing will continue to be enforced.
- Signage will be posted at the entry for visitors not to enter if they have any symptoms identified with COVID-19. If needed, a telephone or video conference may be scheduled in lieu of a face-to-face meeting.
- Temperature checks will not be required. If the visitor is unsure if he or she is running a temperature, office staff may take the visitor’s temperature. This includes afterschool and athletic events.
Knox County Public Schools works with local health officials to keep schools open and prevent the spread of COVID-19 within our school and community. Our district reviews guidance from the Kentucky Department of Education and Centers for Disease Control and determines the impact it has on providing a safe learning environment. Because expectations for temperature screening have changed, only those who are showing signs of being symptomatic and/or request a temperature check will receive one.